duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications is an executive position responsible to promote Anthem’s overall image, brand, communications goals, initiatives, customer service, special events, programs, and services. This is a key leadership position that has broad management responsibility for ensuring that all areas of communications and public affairs are strategically aligned with organizational priorities, programs, and action plans.
Broad functional responsibilities include media and resident relations; internal communications; web-based and email communications; social media; marketing and promotion; print services; graphic design; strategic issues management; crisis communications; special events, customer service; and other broad oversight. This position provides management oversight and supervision to employees in the Communications Department, which includes communications, special events, and customer service and helps shape the overall success of the Anthem Community Council by providing positive leadership and thoughtful oversight to further the mission and success of the organization.
- Works closely with the Executive Director and other key executive-level staff to define and accomplish strategic communications goals and objectives.
- Manages and oversees Communications and Content Management Specialist, Graphic Design Specialist, Customer Service Manager, and the Special Events Manager, and all associated staff.
- Serves as the primary ACC spokesperson and point of contact with law enforcement, the public, and media on selected issues, and trains and supervises staff and Board engaged in similar responsibilities.
- Writes reviews and edits press releases, presentations, publications, and printed materials, including The Anthem Way/Activities Guide, various newsletters, messages, and promotional collateral in support of ACC departments and programs.
- Conducts research and writes various communication policies including, but not limited to the media relations, crisis communications, social media, and video/photography policies for the ACC.
- Supervises and mentors staff involved in communications and public affairs; special events; and customer service
- Oversees the ACC’s website, content, and other communication platforms and tools.
- Prepares, manages, and evaluates department and program budgets and resources; consults with other directors regarding budget items that overlap or impact each other; together with the executive team.
- Initiates and manages professional services contracts and vendors in support of organizational goals and objectives; communicates with residents, coworkers, independent contractors, elected officials, graphic artists, photographers, and others in support of activities and assigned projects.
- With staff, plans/oversee ceremonies and paver sales/fundraising for the Anthem Veterans Memorial. Duties include, but are not limited to speaker selection/itineraries, scripts, press, on-site details, and collaborating with Special Events Manager to execute Veterans Day Ceremony and other ceremonies throughout the year.
- Performs work of those supervised as necessary, and performs other duties and special projects as assigned by Executive Director.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (minimum) with an emphasis in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, or related degree. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience: Five (5) years of diverse and progressively responsible experience in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Legislative Affairs, or a related field; work experience that demonstrates the capacity to meet the competencies outlined above and related supervisory experience.
- Military Experience: Highly desirable due to responsibility for the Anthem Veterans Memorial.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, among others; photography & videography skills a plus.
- Hours are primarily 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. Must also be available to be flexible and work additional hours to ensure proper execution of job duties and requirements including attending Board of Directors meetings, committee meetings, external meetings, special events, and availability to handle after-hours priority or emergency communications.
- Work location: Anthem Civic Building; 3701 W. Anthem Way, Anthem, AZ 85086
ACC employees may use Anthem’s comprehensive Community Center, sports facilities, aquatics park with heated pool, and community parks as a health and wellness benefit. Staff may also sign up for a variety of fitness classes and activities at reduced prices, and in some cases at no cost, with only a few exceptions. Eligible to participate in our 401K Plan with company match.
This position reports to the Executive Director
How to apply:
- Apply online OR
- Download an application, complete and attach a resume, and then:
- Email: email@example.com OR
- Mail: 3701 W. Anthem Way, Suite #201 Anthem, AZ 85086 OR
- Apply in person: Anthem Civic Building (address above)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled