The kids are out of school and the days are getting longer. That means it's summertime! It is a time for many well-deserved vacations. Before you decide to pack up the family and head out of Anthem, review the following checklist to ensure your house will remain safe even while you are relaxing and enjoying your trip.
- Inform your neighbors of the exact dates you will be gone on vacation. Ask them to watch for suspicious activity around your home.
- Leave a key to your front door and emergency numbers for your vacation destination with a trusted neighbor or friend who is willing to watch your home and enter if needed.
- If you will be gone more than two to three days, make arrangements to have your newspaper and mail deliveries stopped or picked up by a trusted neighbor or friend.
- Set automatic timers for various lights inside and outside the house. Set them for your TV and radio as well. This will create the illusion someone is home.
- Keep the air conditioner on, but adjust the thermostat so that it saves energy by not running as often. Hot weather requires the air conditioning to be set a higher degree.
- If you will be gone for longer than one week, remove items from the refrigerator that might spoil. Place these items in an outside garage receptacle. Ask a neighbor to take it out on your specified trash days.
- If you will be gone for longer than a week, make arrangements for someone to tend to your front yard especially if you have grass.
- Mute the ringer on the phone so unanswered calls go unnoticed to others. If you have an answering machine, shut off the volume so no one can hear a caller leaving a message.
- Lock the garage door. If the door has an automatic opening device, unplug it.
- Lock all gates or doors on your property.
- To conserve water and prevent flooding, make sure all faucets inside and outside the home are turned off and no water is dripping.
- Place any valuables in a locked safe or safety deposit box.
- Inform the North Valley Posse that you are away by filling out a vacation watch form. They will make periodic checks on your home.
Do a final walk-through right before you leave to make sure you haven't missed any of these steps. Make a check list from these steps and check off each item as you walk through your home. Be safe and enjoy your summer!