The most important things you need to know are that smoke alarms save lives and they should be in every home. Follow these important smoke alarm safety measures.
- Install at least one smoke alarm on every floor of your home and outside each sleeping area.
- Because smoke rises, alarms should be mounted high on walls or ceilings.
- Smoke alarms should not be installed near a window, door or forced-air register where drafts could interfere with their operation.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Install new batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year, for example, on your birthday.
- Replace all smoke alarm batteries immediately upon moving into a new home.
- Keep batteries in smoke alarms; do not borrow them for other purposes.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
In 2010, Anthem was named as a "Firewise Community" by the National Firewise Communities/USA. For safety, we are committed to maintaining Anthem's Firewise Community status. This means that the ACC works in partnership with the Bureau of Land Management and the Daisy Mountain Fire Department to take measures to eliminate fire hazards and educate the community about how they can help. Learn more about Firewise.