Report a lost pet

Date Modified: Mon, 05/15/2017 - 2:37pm

A dog paw with report a lost animal printed on it.If you have lost a pet, or found one wandering around without its owner, it’s best to report it right away. But who should you report it to? If you can safely contain the animal, here are some useful tips:

  • If the dog is wearing a current Maricopa County tag, call 602‑506‑PETS (7387) and follow the prompts to retrieve the owner's phone number.
  • If the dog or cat is wearing any other type of ID, attempt to contact the owner using the information on the ID.
  • Take the animal to a local vet or shelter to be scanned for a microchip (call ahead to make sure they have scanning capabilities).
  • Contact Anthem Pets, a non-profit, No Kill rescue and animal welfare program at 480-287-3542 or visit their website at

To report a lost pet, please complete a lost pet form and upload a recent photo. If you have found a pet, please complete the found pet form and upload a photo.

Keep in mind, if you do decide to contain the animal, Arizona law states that if you keep a dog or cat and care for it for six consecutive days, you automatically become the owner of the animal.