The weather in Arizona can deliver some challenging conditions that may cause the Lap Pool or other amenities to close. Resident safety is our number one concern, so erring on the side of caution is usually our course of action.
If you are thinking of taking a dip in the warm waters of the heated pool, but the weather outside is frightful, call the Community Center for an update (623-879-3011) before heading out. The Community Center Lap Pool will be closed if the following weather conditions exist:
- Wind: Wind causes unsafe pool cover removal conditions. Gusts, wind speed, sustained winds and the wind direction contribute to these conditions. The safety of staff and residents during removal is paramount.
- Rain: Heavy, hard and enduring rain can reduce the visibility of the bottom of the pool, making it unsafe for use.
- Lightning: If lightning is detected within eight miles of the pool, staff will announce a closure. If there is more than one strike within three miles, the pool will close until further notice.
- Temperature: If the outdoor temperature is below 38 degrees OR staff deems it is unsafe to swim, the pool will close.
- Ice: If ice is present on the pool deck, the amenity will not open.
The same conditions can often cause closures of athletic fields, the Skate Park, Hockey Rink/Pickleball, Bocce Ball Court and playgrounds (Liberty Bell, Adventure, Opportunity Way Park and Discovery). If conditions warrant it, staff will decide whether an amenity should be closed for safety reasons. This generally happens in the cases of heavy rain/flooding and/or ice. Generally, a notification will be posted on the website and social media, but residents may also call the Community Center front desk at 623-879-3011.